Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Disco Diva (With a Little Funk on the Side)

I.  Love.  Disco.

Yes, it's true.  I don't find it annoying or obnoxious, just, well, uh-maz-ing.  The beats make me want to swing and dance and jump and flirt.  Awesome fun!

On the way to work this morning, my iPod shuffled "Stayin' Alive" to the front of the deck, and all of a sudden I was chair dancing to the Bee Gees.  Usually when this type of event occurs, I picture myself as Cameron Diaz on Charlie's Angels (whose character is appropriately named Natalie...just sayin').  Where's the nearest disco club in Anchorage?  Wait, is there even a disco club in Anchorage?  Or even Alaska?  Eh, probably not.  I suppose my "Just Dance" video game and these clips will have to satiate my disco appetite!

Charlie's Angels: "Last Dance," by Donna Summer

Charlie's Angels: "Heaven Must be Missing an Angel," by Tavares

My roots in disco started with funk.  Yup.  More specifically, George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelic.  Seriously, I had no idea who these (allegedly human) guys were while I was growing up.  Dad listened to Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, and Ella Fitzgerald (having been born in 1929) and mom listened to The Temptations, The Supremes, the Beach Boys, Mamas and the Papas, Aretha Franklin and so on (having been born in, well, she's still 25...).  I first heard the blissful tunes and funky beats of P-Funk when I watched that not-so-underground film, PCU. 

Here's a clip from the film: George Clinton & P-Funk: Erotic City (From the movie PCU)

The band also played "Give Up the Funk" in the movie, but I couldn't find it on YouTube.  I suppose we'll have to settle for the original music video (which is pretty effing entertaining, IMHO): George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelic: Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucka)

And there you have it!  Today has been a blissfully disco and funky day so far.  I hope everyone gets the chance to have a chair-dancin' day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment